Search

9 days in Romania & Bulgaria

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2024, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 days in Romania & Bulgaria

Dear Friends,

We are a family of three, with a 3 year toddler. We plan to visit Romania & Bulgaria in October End for 9 days. Having only 9 days, we plan to visit Bucharest, Veliko Tarnavo (Heard its a beautiful Medival town) and Sofia. Have a couple of questions and looking for help please. Arrival at Bucharest & Departure from Sofia is preferred due to international flight convenience.

1. Will it be a good time to visit these cities in October End? Mild Cold is fine , but should not be too freezing as we have a young one

2. Any suggestions for an itinerary please along with how do we travel between these places. We prefer public transportation

3. We have a valid Schengen Visa issued by France and i read that both the countries accept travellers with valid schengen visa...So trust thats ok

4. We love exploring the town, local culture, cuisine etc. Any recommendations which areas to stay in these locations please

Thank you...
Old Aug 23rd, 2024, 04:16 AM

With only 9 days, you cannot do more than these 3 cities, althoug there would be alot of stunning stuff along the itineary.
The bus is faster, but the train might be more comfortaable for a family with kids.
The direct Bucuresti - Gorna Orjaovica (railway station of Veliko Trnovo) takes almost the whole day.
If you plan to stop over at Ruse, I would take a Pegasus bus up to Ruse and then the train.
You may also go by bus from Bucuresti to Giurgiu (much more connections) and cross the border by taxi.
Old Aug 23rd, 2024, 07:03 AM

I would choose Plovdiv over Sofia 10 times out of 10. And I've been to Romania but not Bucharest. I drove right through it, but did not stop. I haven't heard of any reason to go, so I am wondering why you are choosing Sofia and Bucharest.

Veliko Tarnovo is a former capital of Bulgaria built on a hairpin bend of the Yanta River. The streets rise up from the river so that every street is on a different level. It has many great features, and is located in a dramatic setting. I am not sure you would think it's a 'medieval town' just by looking at it. There are indeed the medieval ruins of a humongous royal fortress you can visit. There si a lot of uphill waling all over.. The city is more dramatic than pretty.

There is a train that goes form Velilko Tarnovo to Plovdiv, and it also stops on the way in Tryavna, one of the best preserved villages of Bulgaria, though I haven't been. So if you could get to/from Veliko and Plovidv, that would be a very good 9 days right there.
Old Aug 23rd, 2024, 08:21 AM
kja

I don't think any of us can tell you what the weather will be when you are there or how your family will respond to it, but you might find some useful climate statistics on https://weatherspark.com/

I haven't been to Bulgaria yet. I greatly enjoyed Bucharest and was glad to stay in the Lipscani area -- easy to walk to restaurants and some key sights, good access to public transportation for things a bit further out.

Old Aug 23rd, 2024, 12:34 PM

Gems of Romania:
Brasov, Sibiu, Sighisoara, Suceava/Humor, Timisoara, Bucuresti, Cluj, Maramures.......
Gems lof Bulgaria: Plovdiv, Rilski Monastir, Veliko Tarnovo, Nesebar, Stara Zagora, Tryavna, Melnik, Sofia..............