Trip to Thailand with family 12 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2024, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, We’re planning a December trip to Thailand for three generations, including three toddlers (10 of us all together). We will be traveling in and out of Bangkok and want to visit just two locations. We’re considering spending around 5 days in Bangkok and are deciding between Phuket and Chiang Mai for the second destination.
  1. Is there enough to do for 5 or 6 days in Chiang Mai or Phuket with toddlers in tow?
  2. Would either destination provide a good balance of culture and relaxation or beach time?
  3. Are there other locations in Thailand that might offer a better blend of cultural experiences and relaxation?
  4. Does spending about 5 days in Bangkok sound reasonable for our interests?
  5. Should we choose an Airbnb or a hotel for our stay in Bangkok?
  6. Do we need to rent a car or hire a private driver for ease of travel?
Your insights would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by missmeethipie; Sep 7th, 2024 at 10:51 AM.
Old Sep 8th, 2024, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is plenty to keep adults interested in and around Chiang Mai but I wouldn't say it is that suitable for children. It is a city and clearly does not have beaches. There are hotels with pools but they wont compare with the facilities at Thai beach resorts. Chiang Mai IMO, is good for a couple of days perhaps combined with Chiang Rai or a mini road trip along the Mai Hong Soon loop maybe visiting a few hill tribe villages. I wouldn't want to do that with toddlers in tow. Phuket is arguably the most popular beach destination in Thailand but it really is mostly about beaches so a great place to relax and chill after a hectic few days in Bangkok. It is not my favourite beach destination in Thailand but my interests and preferences may well be very different from your own. If you are looking for five star luxury hotels or maybe a villa for ten, then it may be a good choice. Chiang Mai for culture, Phuket for relaxation.

5 days in Bangkok reasonable for our interests? You don't actually say what those interests are but assuming the are not too different from the norm, about rights. Depending on where you are coming from, you could probably write off the first day to jet lag etc. There is certainly enough to keep you all busy for that time. Choose your hotel wisely. I would go for somewhere on the river. Take a look at the Anantara Riverside it is like a resort hotel in the city so may be good for the kids if they dont want to go visiting the sights. Easy access to the river buses and monorail for getting around the city.

Hotel v Airbnb - I would probably go for a hotel but I am not a fan of travelling in large groups . I would certainly want some downtime away from the group and that would prove difficult if all staying in the same place. At the beach , I think I would want all the facilities of a hotel.

You would clearly need to rent more than one car for 10 of you. Driving in Thailand is not difficult but it does take a little getting used to. You dont need or want a car in Bangkok and in Chiang Mai it would only be of use in getting out into the countryside etc. I think you would be better searching for a driver and minibus that could take you all together in the one vehicle. Driving in separate cars in a strange country would be problematic. Hotel concierges can usually help. Airport transfers are easy as they all have fixed price taxi desks - you would need three taxis each time

"Are there other locations in Thailand that might offer a better blend of cultural experiences and relaxation?" Lots and lots but much depends on your style of travel, budget and interests. This is a good place to start https://www.travelfish.org/country/thailand

My advice , if you are the organiser of this trip, is to keep it simple. Two destinations is a great start. I would also spend plenty of time researching where to stay and where to eat and come up with an itinerary.