Search

3 weeks in Aus with toddler

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2024, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 weeks in Aus with toddler

Looking for advice especially on Daintree/GBR area

I'm planning a 3 week trip with my Aussie husband (from Perth) and four-year-old daughter. This is the vague itinerary but need help .

- 4 nights in Sydney [Dec 26-Dec 30]
- Fly to Cairn for 8 or 9 nights seeing jungle/reef/etc. [Dec 30-Jan 8-ish]

Top highlights we'd want to see:
(1) Great Barrier Reef - one day snorkeling is fine - we're not divers -
(2) Daintree NP- again, one day is fine although happy to stay in a jungle lodge if that's not inconvenient.
(3) Kuranda (either by train or skyrail)
(4) Cape Tribulation (lowest on list as it seems a bit torturous if you can't swim, but looks beautiful)
- we prefer off-the-beaten path type trips, but my husband does not like to move around too much. Can we accomplish this from just two jump-off points, and if so, what would you recommend? Also, if we can do this without being too rushed in fewer than 9 days, I'm sure my surfer husband would prefer to spend more time down south. If 9 days is still too short, let me know!
- Fly from Cain - Ballana and spend 4 or 5 nights in Byron [Jan 8-Jan 11-ish]
We have close friends in Byron, so no need to comment on whether this is worthwhile
- Fly to SYD on the 11 for a flight back to NY on Jan 12
Old Sep 10th, 2024, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the middle of the wet season in the far north so be prepared for heat, humidity and rain. In our experience, there is a sudden, heavy downpour then it's sunny again.

Where will you stay? The three main towns are Cairns, Palm Cove and Port Douglas. Cairns is a small city, no beach but a lovely man-made swimming area. Palm Cove is very small and very touristy, right on the beach but you often can't swim at any of the beaches along there. Port Douglas is my favourite, it's very much a holiday type place, with lots of accommodation and restaurants/shops. A great Sunday Market. The beach is wide and beautiful.

There are various trips out to the reef, large boats and small. I would wait a bit to see what the weather is like before you book. We've only gone out once, on QuickSilver, it was an all day trip, a very large group but well organised. It takes a while to reach the reef. Check if they take children your daughter's age.

You can book a shuttle or bus transfer from Cairns airport to any of any of these towns. For Daintree I'd suggest a day tour, maybe a Mossman Gorge tour as well. We hired a car once and drove up to Cape Trib.
Old Sep 11th, 2024, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you could still have a great trip but maybe 6 days/7 nights in Cairns area. Add the other days to Byron? If it was me, I'd plot it out on a day by day basis, bearing in mind a travel day is most of a day lost. Also factor in the weather up north which hopefully won't, but can, affect flights, roads and sightseeing.
Old Sep 11th, 2024, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's rare for me to suggest a shorter stay, but given the time of year I would shave some time off northern Queensland. You won't be able to swim off the coast at that time of year (stingers) and the weather will be unpredictable. As Kay suggests, maybe a week and stay in Port Douglas. I'd try to visit the Atherton Tablelands while up there. The extra time, I'd add to Byron Bay or Sunshine Coast or another town in northern NSW. I agree that plotting out your dates, night by night, would be useful (you are at risk of double counting your travel dates 30th, 8th and 11th).

If by chance you decide to skip northern Queensland, there's plenty of beautiful places further south which would be wonderful too.

The other factor is that it will be peak school holiday time so you will need to book flights and accommodation in advance.

The Tripadvisor Australia forum is much more active than this one so you might get some good advice by checking out other people's plans and feedback.
Old Sep 12th, 2024, 01:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
+1 for Dreamon's recommendation to enquire on Tripadvisor's Australia Forum. It's a very active forum and you'll receive great, current information.

It's CairnS and Ballina. Agree - you've chosen the peak of the peak holiday period for the North Coast and Byron Bay.

BTW - We would not refer to a 4 year old as a "toddler" in Australia. I read your heading & thought probably a 18mths - 2 year old.

Presume you have Visas for any non-Australians in your party. If not, apply now - use this link:
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...sa/visa-finder
Here's a map of Australia for your reference.Australia – size map: https://www.virtualoceania.net/austr...ustralia.shtml