Hawaii-which island in February

Old Mar 11th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii-which island in February

Hello Hawaii lovers,

After traveling to the Caribbean (Virgin Gorda, St. John, St. Lucia) for the past 3 February's, we are thinking about Hawaii once again as it has been on our bucket list for years. We like to escape our MA cold winters and look forward to vacationing somewhere warm every February.

We like quiet, laid back places, ideally somewhere on a beach with a lanai and beautiful sunsets, yet reasonably priced. (Yeah, I know, asking a lot) I dream of the Kauai North Shore, but am concerned it's not the right time of year to go as we like to snorkel and swim too.

What about Oahu's North Shore? I've been looking at condos there, but it's pretty limited. I think the Big Island is out for this trip, but what about Maui? We usually avoid places with huge shopping malls, big box stores, and crowded beaches, but my husband said he'd go to Waikiki Beach for a couple of nights just to experience it once. I went when I was a teenager.

We only have about 10 nights to spend on vacation. Which island typically is the warmest in February?

Please help us decide on an island or two! Thanks so much!
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 04:20 PM

I was in Oahu and Kauai in January one year and both islands had similar weather. I would assume the surf & swim conditions on the north shore on either of these islands will probably be high surf with strong rip currents just because the winter produces both.

If it was me I would do 5 days in Oahu and 5 in Kauai. Oahu is fun in that you will have a chance to have a litte more culture like the historical Iolani Palace, Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, etc. And Kauai will provide the quiet, laid back rest you want.

I personally am not a big Maui fan, only because it's similar in my opinion to southern Calif where I live. For my taste I think Kauai and Oahu have a more tropical feel.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 05:03 PM

Big Island is the warmest and Kohala coast the driest.
Second warmest and driest would be Maui, Wailea.

We went to Maui for the first time last month and we loved it. It was surprise as I didn't think we'd like it as much as Big Island but we did. Wailea is laid back and beautiful.
The whale watching was amazing and we also really enjoyed Haleakala, stunning views and a beautiful place to chill (literally!) at sunrise, sunset or sometime in between!

I'd suggest Maui or Big Island.
If you choose Big Island then split your stay (7/8 nights in Kohala or Kona area and 2/3 night Hilo/Volcano) and fly into Kona out of Hilo if possible to avoid back tracking.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 05:10 PM

Any particular reason you're ruling out the Big Island? It doesn't have the tropical lushness you might like, but the area around Kona may have the most reliably sunny weather in all the islands. Some of the best snorkeling on Hawaii, too.

Hard to argue against Kauai, though. It's everything you say you like. But as you already know, the weather is not as reliable, particularly on the north shore (check out the weather there last week!). So if you end up there, best stick to the area around Poipu.

As to how to allocate your time, after those few nights on Waikiki, head to an outer island for the balance (my choice would be Kauai). My opinion of Maui is similar to nanabee's. Of the outer islands, it's got the most of what you say you don't want. I wouldn't quite go this far, but someone on another forum described it as feeling like Las Vegas, plus being overrun with kids. If you end up there, the Wailea area would, I think, be best at that time of year.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 06:00 PM

I hate Las Vegas. I love Maui. The comparison is absurd.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 06:02 PM

As much as I love Kauai's north shore, the weather is very iffy in February and March. A mammoth rainstorm has just left the island, yielding 50 inches of rain in Hanalei in just a few days, completely flooding the roads and bridges and stranding many travelers.

I'd chose Wailea on Maui.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM

sf7307, I agree wholeheartedly.
I'd move to Maui tomorrow but one night in Las Vegas was more than enough for me.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses everyone! I just checked out Wailea, but the oceanfront condos there average about $600 per night, definitely out of my price range. I'm thinking more like $250-$300 for a small studio or 1 bedroom with ocean views.

Islandaze, I am ruling out the Big Island because I read it was very different than the other islands, beautiful but not very tropical. Maybe I should rethink this though.

Off to do more research! Anyone have any condo/suite recommendations?
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 07:51 PM

Check out the Napili area of Maui, just north of Kaanapali.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 07:52 PM

The east side of Hawaii is lush, with wonderful waterfalls and green, green everywhere and the possibility of seeing lava flowing! Volcanoes National Park is so amazing, I can't imagine not seeing it. The west side has wonderful swimming, snorkeling spots, history, and beautiful beaches. The northern part has dramatic views. The southern side has amazing black sand beaches.

Going to the Big Island is like getting 4 islands in one.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 07:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<feeling like Las Vegas, plus being overrun with kids>

That's absolutely ridiculous. I mean think about it. How can *an entire ISLAND* feel like one particular honky tonk city or be overrun with anything? Maybe the resort they choose felt like that, but don't blame all of Maui.

Back to the original post, I thinkn the islands have similar weather in February, but that it might be different on the different shores/sides.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 08:05 PM

On Maui you will find accomodations in your price range just a mile or two north of Wailea in Kihei.

Check out Wailea Ekahi. Most of the units are not beachfront, but the complex does have a beachfront pavillion. Some of the smaller units away from the beach might be in your $$ range. Here is an aerial view.

http://wizardpub.com/maui/mrwaileaekahi.html
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 06:09 PM

If this is your first trip to the islands, I wouldn't spend much time on the Big Island. True, it is very interesting, but it doesn't give me the vibe I want from Hawaii. Rent a car and drive around Oahu if you find Waikiki too busy. Personally, it's my favorite.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 03:37 AM

>>>Volcanoes National Park is so amazing, I can't imagine not seeing it.

THAT!

However, I will agree that there are fewer lush areas on BI. Flying into BI is like landing on the moon, and you'll drive through lava fields for the first 15-20 minutes of leaving the airport. But the scenery is amazing in its own way and unlike anywhere else I've been.

What about Oahu's East coast (Kailua and Lanikai)? Low-key beach towns, great snorkeling, and calmer seas in the winter than the North shore.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 05:55 AM

Having been all around every one of the six inhabited islands in Paradise - starting back in '77 - I would say they are ALL special. And you can find lush beauty and great beaches/snorkeling on each one.

Our personal favorite is the North Shore of Kauai (not named the Garden Isle for nuttin) - and yes, you can catch a storm in Feb - but then it passes through and it's sunny warm - and you see numerous waterfalls cascading down from the Bali Hai mountains. Ask SongDoc about that.

Or you can enjoy the North Shore of Oahu - almost like getting to an outer island - or enjoy the great beaches on Maui - and it has the most nightlife of the outer islands - or marvel when visiting the incredible Volcano on Hawaii - and the east side by Hilo (see Akaka Falls - http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/park....cfm?park_id=2 ) is as green as it gets.

I think it's best to combine two islands - and getting from one island to another is fairly easy - as the Inter-Island terminal on Oahu/Honolulu is pretty easy to navigate and the outer island terminals are pretty compact and the flights are about half an hour. Usually - if we don't carry on - one of us goes to get the luggage and the other goes across the street to rent the car, and we are zipping along in no time Pick up the local tourist mags for good deals/coupons and also - they have good maps - but it's normally hard to get lost on the islands as they don't have that many main roads.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 08:34 AM

BTW - since you have been to St. Lucia - I hear it doesn't get any more beautiful than that - escept perhaps going to the likes of Tahiti. And have always wanted to dive at Virgin Gorda and the Queens Bath.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 08:35 AM

BTW Dos: There are other posts in here about the North Shore of Oahu - and Turtle Bay resort does have nice cottages - and also check VRBO - as my friends that live right on the edge of Waimea Bay rent out their guest cottage.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 09:35 AM

If having your lodging close to where you can swim and snorkel is a priority, then you should look elsewhere than on the North Shore of Oahu. The water conditions in February are too rough for that kind of activity.

The one exception to this may be if you stay in one of the condos at Turtle Bay - Kuilima cove is generally protected, though conditions at the outer edges can be tricky sometimes in the winter.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 03:58 PM

Queen's Bath is that dangerous place on Kauai where people are swept out to sea yearly. The Baths is the place on Virgin Gorda with the boulders.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 04:22 PM

You're right. Generally - according to this blog - Queen's Bath Kauai can be dangerous if there is big winter surf - but fairly safe in the summer. see: http://great-hikes.com/blog/queens-bath-incidents/

Also - also check out Outrigger hotels - for various deals. More locally owned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -